William and Kate became one of the world’s most popular couples when they started dating in the early 2000s. Their marriage was watched by millions of people when it was broadcasted on both British and American television, but despite that the couple are very private.
Here are 12 things you didn’t know about the stylish and modern Royal couple.
1. Kate and William’s wedding was a huge event, and it was viewed by tens of millions of people around the world. There was a lot of memorabilia for the event, including tea bags, toy dolls and even a Papa John’s pizza!
2. Kate was the first Royal in history to sign a prenup.
3. Kate’s engagement ring actually belonged to Prince Harry first – Princess Diana gave it to Harry to look after, but it he gave it to his brother when he discovered that he wanted to propose. How romantic!
4. Prince William first met Kate while she was wearing a see-through dress for a catwalk show for University. We are guessing he liked what he saw!
5. Kate has a range of cute (or embarrassing) nicknames for Prince William, including Big Willie, P.Willie and His Naughtiness!
6. Their engagement was probably a shock to the Queen – Prince William only told his mother about the engagement two hours before it was publicly announced.
7. Prince William struggled to sleep the night before the wedding, saying; “I hadn’t slept at all that night because obviously all the crowds were on The Mall. They were singing and cheering all night long. So, the excitement of that, the nervousness of me, and everyone singing meant I slept for about half an hour.”
8. Kate married Prince William at the age of 29, making her the oldest bride in Royal history. As a comparison, Princess Diana was 20 when she married Prince Charles of Wales.
9. Their wedding was watched by 24.5 million people in the UK, and it had a global audience of two billion. Wow!
10. The couple first met in 2001 at St. Andrews University in Scotland while they were studying.
11. Although they seem to have the perfect love story, Kate and William actually broke up for a while in 2007. “We both were very young, it was at university, we were sort of both finding ourselves as such and being different characters and stuff,” William explained later. “It was very much trying to find our own way and we were growing up, and so it was just sort of a bit of space and a bit of things like that and it worked out for the better.”
12. Kate isn’t just a beautiful woman, she is also intelligent – she is the first Royal wife in British history to have a degree! Her degree is a Masters in the History of Art.